Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Boston and the death of SKYBUS (RIP)

The strangest thing happened to me this weekend. I got up at 3am on Friday morning to head to the airport in Greensboro and flew on a nice little airline called (or formally known as, like Prince) Skybus. It is known for having a few seats on each flight for only $10. They were really friendly and clean, but if you wanted anything you had to buy it. Water, food, etc. To check a bag was $10. We made a few jokes about it, but appreciated the airline because we got to go to Boston for so cheap. (Well an HOUR outside of Boston...) Anyway, the point of the story is that on the way to the place we were staying that night I got an email from Skybus that said,

"We regret to inform you that Skybus Airlines will cease all ope
rations effective 12:00 a.m. Saturday, April 5. As a result, your Skybus flight has been cancelled."

That was one of the strangest things that has ever happened to me. I think the email makes it even more dramatic. Imagine traveling somewhere and your method home just disappears... haha...a bit eerie. I've flown many times, even a few times on smaller-ish airlines such as AIRTRAN!! and I have never had an airline bail on me while I was en route.

Obviously, we still had to get home, somehow. So, four of us (Matt, Rahshun, Whitney, and I) had to either buy a really expensive ticket home or find another way to get home. So... after debating trains, Hummers, and buses, we decided to rent a car and drive. Justin Phillips canceled his flight and drove home with us. (Making it 3 people in the back seat!! Thank you, Justin.) I think the drive home ended up being a total of 18 hours including a few hour stop in NYC. The sad thing was that Matt was the only one who could legally drive because of the age restrictions on rental cars. So he drove the whole time.

It was a fun ride though, for the most part (hummm, or at least for some of it). We got to stop in NYC and we saw Lindsay, Lydia, Suzie, and fam as well as Josh and his friend. It was pretty cool just "stopping by" Manhattan. What a cool city. We left Manhattan around midnight and started our journey. I think we paid around $30 in tolls! The ride to NYC was bearable and even a little fun, maybe because it was during my peak hours of 6pm-12am, but the rest of the trip was difficult. During my tiredest moments, it seemed impossible to get comfortable and it also seemed like the
person beside me wasn't interested in going to sleep. ;) (I love you Whit.) She did make an excellent and most complying pillow, though, and for that I am thankful!

You may (or may not) be wondering what each of these pictures is all about, so I will explain, numbering them 1-8.
1.Whitney and I taking pictures with a rubber fish in Boston.
2.Eric and Ashley from NYC. They came for a day of the outreach. They are precious, I love them!
3.The best picture of "Boston" I got. Sad, I know. Funny story behind that, but I will spare you.
4.One of the campus ministers in Boston and our most gracious host, Jennie, and I.

5.Eric, Ashley, and I at a Luau at Princeton?... We ended up deciding to go there for dinner Saturday night to meet people and make friends. The food was genuinely Hawaiian--Spam included. It was DELICIOUS. When do I really get to go to Hawaii?
6.On the drive home. I called front seat to NY. The rest of the ride I was in the back. At least in the back seat you don't have to stay awake!!
7.At a pizza shop in NYC, I decided to drink out of the pitcher of water after I looked in my own water cup and saw an array of food particles. Maybe they were mine? maybe not. But even if they were, this seemed like the better option.
8.The tablecloth at the Luau was paper and the center pieces were pineapples with crayons in the green part. This was my picture.

My next post will have to be about my birthday or something.. it is worth a story since I spent it with 3 other adults and FIVE children under the age of 5. :)

Before my I go, I really enjoyed reading everyones responses to my last post. I think you all had fun too ;)...this post's question is this: What's the longest road trip you've ever been on?


Until we meet again...
Lindsay

3 comments:

Hope said...

Hey, Lindsay! Thanks for the sweet comment and of course I remember you. :) Hopefully you'll be back in Scotland soon! Feel free to link my site, it helps my google ratings. :) Geez, I promise I'm not a big moocher!

Elzabet said...

The absolute longest road trip I have ever been on was my sr year at State when I drove with my professor and five other people to a conference in Tampa, FL from Raleigh, NC.

By the time we got back, I was fairly positive that I could legally find a reason to pitch a certain person out of the car into the woods by the side of a deep dark road in Georgia. LOL!

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!