Friday, April 25, 2008

A poet, too

My computer battery is going to die in about two minutes. I wanted to post a link here that has really been a blessing to me. Pastor John Piper has really been a blessing to me as a minister and author. Most recently, I've discovered that he is a brilliant poet. My favorite are the ones he writes for his family members. I don't know him personally, but I do enjoy reading his blog and website. It is desiringgod.com

Here is a link to some of his poetry: http://www.desiringgod.org/ResourceLibrary/Poems/ByDate/

How does one learn to be a poet?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoy John Piper's site too because I offers a Christ-centered perspective EVERY topic!

To be a poet write poetry! :)

I think the best place to start is to read / study as much "great" poetry as possible. When I say "great" I mean that it was stood the test of time. Think Psalms. Shakespeare. Poe. Auden. Frost. Bronte. Browning. Donne. Dickenson. etc...

Secondly, read what you love and figure out why you love it and parlay that into your own writing style.

Remember we a created by The Creator and therefore creative!

Nicole said...

hahahahahaha - I LOVE the blog link, girlie! YOU ARE AWESOME!!!

Lindsay said...

Thank you so much Bridge for the advice! Such great advice. I am going to go upstairs, hop in bed and crack open my old poetry book.

I WILL be a poet ;)