Thursday, June 12, 2008

caring for "orphans"

Tuesday changed my perspective of what an orphan is--and what caring for them means. I used to think caring for orphans meant holding babies at an orphanage, or poor street kids in Africa taking care of their younger siblings. Yes, these are orphans and we must care for them--but God showed me Tuesday that there are orphans here, within miles, that are deprived of their parent's love, hugs, stability, security. A man named Scott showed me that. Let me explain...

A precious girl from the youth group called me the other night, afraid and in need of help. She was in a bad situation and with people she was really butting heads with. She pleaded for me to pick her up, before she did something she regretted, so I went over there as soon as I could. She was staying with a group of people, all over 20, in a small apartment. When I went to pick her up she was standing outside with all of her stuff. Another guy was standing and waiting with her. As we got ready to go, I started talking to the other guy, Scott, asking him if he was okay and if he needed anything. Eventually I just asked if I could pray with him, there wasn't much I could do at that point to help his situation. I crouched down beside him and began to pray. As I was praying, I sensed God's love and compassion for him--the tangible Father's love...that comforts, brings peace, direction, security... I realized he had none of that. He was broken, rejected, hurt, uncared for and because of it he was like a lost puppy-no direction, no love, alone.

God gave me the revelation that when he says, "...[D]efend the cause of the fatherless..." in Isaiah 1:17 he meant Scott. And others like him. To yes, care for babies who are left abandoned, and also the "grown ups" with no love. The ones separated from their own fathers (maybe even by their own doing) who are wounded and unloved.

I was adopted by Christ.
Christ chose to adopt me and love me in my sin. May that reality compel me to love the orphans, however old or young, big or small, nice or mean they may be.

I will not leave you as orphans. I will come to you.
-John 14:18

6 comments:

12345 said...

Lindsay Mcgee :) Hello friend...
That was a GREAT post and it touched my heart.

So random that I found you on here (mainly because I wasn't looking for you) I just clicked on people who like Misty E and you came up.

So cool. God bless you :)
Blaise

Sandra Dena said...

This is like the best post ever and you are on a blogging rampage! Keep up the great work!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic rendering of that moment in time, I think it is wonderful that the teen called you for help and God presented you with the opportunity to minister to yet another in need.

Anonymous said...

Lindsay, your blog brought me to tears and made me want to go out and adopt an orphan....I am so proud that you are my granddaughter and that you have such compassion and love in your heart...You will always be my pride and joy.....

JoeyS said...

WOW Lindsay,

What a great testimony of GOD the Father. So many times I struggle in my own heart and mind when I look through my own fathers perspective. He is a great man of character...but not saved. I'll forget how much GOD the Father loves me and wants to go through my trying times with me and encourage me and help me through them with divine wisdom. I often take on my fathers perspective that is so limited...that requires a man to take on the pressures of the world by your self with not a lot of faith...

We all so need a God to fill our areas of fatherlessness.

The Gregory's said...

You were right - this is good stuff. I am very proud of you.